Click on a question and then on "Edit" to bring up the question editor.
The question editor has the following sections:
- Question Text
- VisibleIf (Question order)
- Text Message Content
- Email Message Content
- Email Sender
The question name. The name is not displayed to callers as part of the script but is very important for your script and results.
Name is used:
- As column headers in nightly reporting CSVs for script results.
- To set up your question branching logic (the VisibleIf property)
- To show the question answers as text variables (learn more about how to do this in Question Text below).
Do not duplicate question names. If you do, the answers saved to the last version of the question will overwrite the first. Moreover, it will break the question branching logic and script variables.
Don't forget to set your questions names when you create a new question. Changing questions names later in the script process will require you to update any question logic references or script variables where you used the previous question name.
A link to the documentation and a list of the voter info and question/answer text variables you can use in the Question Text.
The text shown to callers for the question.
A visual WYSIWYG editor is available to customize the text in a visual editor. You can also click "Source" to edit the HTML directly.
NOTE: The WYSIWYG editor will strip out most complex html from your question text if you use the "Source" button. Restrict your html to simple styling.
Within the question text, you can use two types of variables:
You are able to use any of the variables listed in the Instructions section to fill in information from your uploaded list. Just cut and paste the appropriate variable from the instructions section directly into your question text. See "Load a Call List" for more details about loading list variables.
In the example above, we are using address, polling location, and polling address.
Use the answer panel to set up details for each answer, including VAN integration, values, text, and button colors.
Value and Text may be different (or the same).
- Value is the data the form will save what will appear in the nightly reporting file. Value is used for setting logic using "VisibileIf" below.
- Text is what will be shown in the script button itself. If you fill in a value only, and no text, the value will be shown to callers as the text.
You always want to set a value rather than leaving it as the default “item1”, “item2” and so on, because the values are what will be saved and used in reporting, your files will be easier to interpret with answers that correspond to the question. Similarly, it is the answer values (and not the text) which are used to set up “visibleIf” connections and for question/answer variables in the Question Text. See more below on using the VisisbleIf property.
- TIP: You can also use shorter value names and have the text display longer or more formalized text, or use value names to map to other codes in your own data.
The "Has other item" field and its correlating "Other item text" is for adding an option where callers can fill in a text field for "Other" in a list of choices.
You can link your question answers to sync with VAN question answers and VAN activist codes by selecting values here. Type to search through your account's available options. You can select options using keydown and keyup, pressing enter or tab, or clicking.
- Tip: Search unique terms (such as "absentee" to find an absentee ballot related question to most efficiently search through results).
VisibleIf (AKA question branching or question logic)
Conditions to control which questions are shown based the responses to questions as a caller goes through the script. (i.e. they are Visible only if a certain answer is selected)
In the VisibleIf tab in the question editor, you can create new VisibleIf conditions by selecting a question, an answer value, and how it should be evaluated (like equal to, less than, etc), from the dropdowns. This will add text below that has the VisibleIf statement.
NOTE: You can have multiple VisibleIf conditions joined by “or” or “and” statements. The dropdown only lets you add conditions with an “and”, so typing is necessary to use “or” -- just add two different arguments then replace the “and” between two arguments with an “or” instead.
- Tip: The templates question sets have VisibleIf's set up internally for you, so the multiple questions in the templates are already linked. You only need to trigger the question group by connecting the first question in the template to a previous answer’s value.
See "Understanding Question Branching using 'Visible If'" for more details and information.
Text and Email Message Content + Email Sender
Text Message Content, Email Message Content, and Email Sender are text inputs for admins to add message content for automatically sent emails and text messages. Generally you will add them within the Contact Widget to associate the messages with the question where you will be collecting phone numbers and emails within the script (See Using the Contact Widget for more details).