- Set up standard canvass results with the Default Starting Question
- Map each of your script question answers to VAN Survey Questions or Activist Codes
- Checking VAN Answers and confirming mapping
Add Default Starting Question to add pre-set Canvass Results
To send Canvass Results, which are codes that the VAN uses to track contacts where you did not have a conversation with the contact, you just need to add the "Default Starting Question" to the beginning of your script. You can add an HTML box above the question but it should be the first data collection point.
The "Default Starting Question" answers, other than "Talking to Correct Person," are already pre-set to sync with your VAN canvass results with no further setup required.
"Deliverability Error" is set to sync with the deliverability error canvass result and should not be used for calls that hung up quickly. The answer option can be removed to prevent callers from making a mistake.
Map each script question answer to VAN Survey Questions or Activist Codes
When syncing, every "Talked to Correct Person" result should have script results. Each button clicked by the caller should be mapped to a VAN Answer. In the script manager, within each question, in the answer section, there is a VAN Answer column and a VAN Activist code column.
Every option should have a VAN Answer or a VAN Activist code to be sure all the button options your callers can pick are synced back to your VAN.
When setting up a question in your script, add your answers and then select a Survey Question from the VAN Answer search box or an Activist Code from the Van Activist Code search box. Just start typing in the boxes to filter your options.
Note: Use either Van Answer or Van Activist Code per answer, not both.
Example: Selecting a survey question and answer
Select the correct Activist Code from the drop-down options.
Save your question and your script and that's it! Your VAN sync is now successfully set up and live!
- Your Canvass Results, Survey Questions, and Activist Codes will be synced back to your VAN overnight.
- You will receive a nightly email with a report on the sync. It will include a breakdown of sync totals.
- ThruTalk (Legacy) can only sync canvass results, survey questions, and activist codes with VAN. Any other response types such as freeform response answers or contact widget usage details will need to be bulk uploaded to VAN via the CSV.
Use VAN save custom mapping feature to make bulk upload faster!
Update and Confirm Mapping
If switching between MyVoter sync and MyCampaign sync, you must check each answer to be sure it is present in the current sync system.
The quickest way to check is to remove the parentheses at the end and confirm the VAN Answer mapped is in this VAN. Some questions are present on both sides of VAN and some are not.
Example if the option is not present:
How to clear out results:
Switch over from Form Entry to Fast Entry and delete the incorrect mapping.